Thursday, July 29, 2010

Camp K

Camp K.....Mckelsie's home for a WHOLE 4 nights and 5 days! I was so excited for Mckelsie to be able to get to go and experience something like this and at the same time was worried to death to leave my baby girl for that long and overnight! Here's a small sampling of the days and events that Mckelsie experienced.
Day 1: I dropped Mckelsie off at Camp K about 9:30 am. We got her all checked in, medications given to the nurse, whom Mckelsie was quite surprised was a male nurse and even more worried that he had guns and knives. We met her counselor that would be with her for the entire week, "Styx". She was so nice to Mckelsie! She seemed to be in really good spirits, really looking forward to the swimming part of the days. Finally left her............................... Ahhhh, that was so hard! Such a weird feeling to not have her there. Went to work and received a call from Mckelsie about 12:30 pm all upset. She was all worked up and said;
"Mom, I'm so upset, I don't know what to do!"
I said, "Calm down Mckelsie, what's going on, talk to me."
"They're having ham and turkey sandwiches for lunch and I don't know what ham and turkey is!"
"Just have the turkey, you'll like that."
I talked a bit longer with her and she calmed down and seemed to be in good spirits again. Later that night I received another call with her all upset. She was crying saying she wanted to come home. It took all I had to not just go up and pick her up. I talked to her, which recently has become more and more the only way to get her to calm down.....talk out the issue TO DEATH! Soon, she was good and we said our goodnights and love you's.
2nd Day: Mckelsie called me almost first thing in the morning. She didn't seem too upset but said again she was ready to come home. She said she didn't sleep very well but that she had helped one of the other little girls get to sleep. Talked to her and calmed her down. We talked about how good that was of her and that I was so proud of her. She was really excited to go swimming later as she'd had a blast the day before for their trip to the pool. I got another call later that night. She was all upset because "Michael", one of the boys at the camp was, "picking at her food and she didn't like it!". What do you say????
3rd Day: The whole day went by and I heard nothing. I wasn't sure if it was good to not hear anything....No news is good news right?! I received a call from my mom about 7 that night saying Mckelsie was trying to get ahold of me but that everything was alright. When Mckelsie tried me again and we talked she was so excited. Truly the excitement in her voice was so electric and my heart was bursting.
Mckelsie: "Mom, I'm so excited....you'll never guess who I met!"
Mom: "Really!?! Who???"
Mckelsie: "I've met this guy when we went canoeing and you could date him and marry him and his name is Stallion!"
Mom: "Hahahahaha....more laughter! It wouldnt be my Mckelsie if you weren't looking for someone while you were there would it?"
Mckelsie: "Please mom, you've gotta meet him and date him."
Mom: "Well, how old is he?"
Mckelsie: "He's 24."
Mom: "That's a little bit too young. Is he cute though?"
Mckelsie: "Hehehehehe......hugh laughter. Well, I don't know if you would think he was cute."
Mom: "Well, do you think he's cute?"
Mckelsie: "HUGE Laughter.... I don't know. Hahahahaha....."
Mom: "Oh Mckelsie, I miss you and am glad you looking out for me."
Mckelsie told me that they were going to be performing in a talent show and that I was invited so My mom, Jayden and I decided to go up the next night to see my baby girl shine as she sang to "Taylor Swift". I couldn't wait!!!
4th Day: I didn't hear anything from her all day. We went to the talent show about 7 that night after grabbing a quick bite to eat at the cute diner right near the camp. I have more pics from that night that I'll post just after this one. It was so much fun to watch these precious kids play, perform, get embarrassed and dance away. You're heart aches for their disabilities and hardship in dealing with that and for the parents and loved ones caring for them but at the same time you're heart is really just overwhelmed at the joy that you see in them. I am always so humbled when I realize that Mckelsie is able to do so much while others can't express thems, can't walk etc. The counselors working with them were so great and you could tell really wanted to be there. Mckelsie was so happy. We first saw her and it took all I had to keep from crying....I was so proud of her. She was such a big kid. She seemed to not have any knowledge that others were different around her....nothing out of the ordinary. What an example to me of what we all should be able to see through our "lens" of life.
Day 5: Went to pick her up at about 11:00 and watch the closing ceremony. The saying; "My cup runeth over" is so perfect for this day. I love that kid! (and no....I'm not crying right now as I type this!!!)







Special thanks to Grandma Shar, Grandpa Steve, Grandma Vickie and Grandpa Wes for making it possible finacially for Mckelsie to go.
Thank goodness for grandparents!





No comments:

Post a Comment