Monday, June 20, 2011

Proud...very proud.

May 28th, 2011, Mckelsie and Jayden decided to get baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They took the missionary discussions, learning the basics, prayed some of the most precious prayers I've ever heard and held onto the faith that what they were taught is true. I often thought as I sat listening to the missionaries how simple the gospel sounds and how matter of fact the information was that was portrayed. I never wanted to push my kids to get baptized and always wanted them to "know" it for themselves. I've thought that age 8 is way too young to truly know if this is what they wanted in life. For another reason, Mckelsie didn't really "need" to get baptized. I feel because of her disability she will always have a place in heaven. She is so innocent really and I've always wondered if she would really be able to understand the importance behind the physical baptism. I've had many conversations with people through the years about what age is good and I've had the missionaries coming by the house with inquiring minds as to when we'd be "ready" to allow them to teach my kids. It was only recently when I was having a conversation with a very close friend. He told me all my thoughts were probably right with regards to being the right age and Mckelsie not really needing it.


"However", he said. "Perhaps the main reason for baptism is for us to receive the Holy Ghost. It may really benefit your kids at this time to be able to reach out to the Holy Ghost and use him to make good decisions in their life. They may not fully understand the Gospel or why they are getting baptized, the repentance process but if they have the Holy Ghost to help guide them in their day to day decisions, that may help them."


All I could think of, is: "That's true." I asked my kids if they wanted to learn and of course Mckelsie with excitement all her own answered yes. If it involves attention for Mckelsie, she's game. Jayden thought a little bit harder and a few minutes later said he thought it would be a good idea. So....we began.


What a blessing it has been. I cannot even express into words the comfort that was felt in our home during the discussions. I know that sounds so completely cheesy but it's true. To listen to my kids relay the information they learned, to initiate saying prayers and to see the lights click on was really cool. Right time, right place.


I have to thank the missionaries, Elder Martin and Elder Peyfer. Both were really great with my kids and myself. I'm sure they had lots of questions about our little family, personal questions as the discussions went on but were very respectful of our privacy and taught exactly to how my kids best learn.


I was amazed at how many questions Mckelsie asked and many answers Jayden knew. I have very bright, loving kids....I'm blessed!


I also need to thank all the people that came to the baptism. As I looked around my emotions got the better of me and I totally bawled. My good friends Karen and Melissa were there as they've always supported us through thick and thin. Melissa ended up playing the piano. My friend Ann, whom I share much in common with, lead the music. During the closing hymn our hearts were in tune as I bawled and so did she. She feels my heartache and joy on many levels the same. My parents... amazingly supportive ALL THE TIME!


I had Mckelsie and Jayden plan the whole program so Mckelsie asked her friend Caitlyn to say the opening prayer, Grandma Shar to speak and her friend Kristina to speak as well. Grandma Vickie closed with a prayer. Grandpa Steve and Wes were involved in the confirmation prayers, Grandpa Wes confirming Jayden and my good friend Royd White confirming Mckelsie. Elder Martin baptized Mckelsie and Elder Peyfer baptized Jayden. It was so sweet. Afterwards we celebrated a bit at our house with Banbury Cross donuts and fresh fruit.


It was a wonderful day. I am so very proud of my children. They bless my life in ways I never could have imagined. While it has been extremely hard raising them on my own I'm grateful at the same time because I feel I'm a much better person for it. I think my kids are too. I love them so very much! Family is my key to happiness.




Elder Martin, Rebecca & Elder Peyfer



Elder Martin, Mckelsie, Jayden & Elder Peyfer








Now, down to the important stuff....

Gotta fix the nerf gun.









Jayden did get her to smile.



I was able to get Mckelsie to wear the cutest dress! Amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment