Friday, May 18, 2012

Grandparents

My family and I got together on Mother's Day and my Mom had some pictures out.  Some of these included pictures of my grandparents which were so similar to how I remember them. 

My Grandma Alice and My Grandpa Jay

My Grandpa Jay was the only grandpa that I ever knew growing up.  My dad's father had passed away when he was young and my mom's biological dad I met once and never cared to be a father or grandfather anyways.  My Grandpa Jay was so great with us kids, always bringing us wooden coins every time they came, somewhat soft spoken but jovial and could talk your ear off.  I actually named Jayden after him because I admired him so much.  Even when my Grandma and he divorced he still sent birthday cards to us kids every year.  I went to the hospital when he was dying of emphysema and he couldn't talk well but I'll always remember the look in his eyes of happiness with tears swelling up and his tight grip on my arm as he kissed my cheek.  I'm grateful that I knew him as my Grandpa.


My Grandma Green

I'm quite sure I was one of My Grandma Green's favorites!  I used to go over to her house as a child and clean for her and then would spend the night.  She always pampered me and made me feel special.  I loved to hear her tell stories of how she met my Grandpa Green or stories about my dad.  She had a rocker recliner chair and watch TV.  Most times it was sports because my Uncle David who lived with her always was watching sports.  Sometimes on Sunday's it would be the Disney Sunday night movie.  I remember her cooking skills were crazy good, one being her famous chili and another being her homemade donuts that she would have us kids cut out the donut holes with her thimble.  The icing that she made was so amazingly good!!!  My Grandma Green loved having her children and grandchildren around and was big on family.  There was a standing invitation to all the kids that Sunday dinner would be at her house (until she got older and then it was just dessert).  The picture below is exactly how I remember her most.  Having heard more stories about her as I've grown older I appreciate her best for her will to keep going, keep a clean house, having raised my wonderful dad and her love for her family. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I think it really was Grandma Green watching sports. She always claimed it was Uncle David but the ball games were always on whether he was home or not.

    ReplyDelete