Thursday, April 25, 2013

Random Kindness

Getting out of bed seems to be almost an impossible event most mornings for me and this morning was no different, however, I'd braved the day and was shifting anxiously in the elevator of the building I work at.  My stomach was churning and my heart racing for the stress filled day and I was trying to tell myself that it would be a "good day" when I stepped out onto my floor.  Directly across the hall from the elevator sits a work area that is surrounded by inept windows allowing hallway walkers to peer into their work space.  I looked up through the windows, stepping out onto the white hospital floor, and smiling from behind the glass was this lady whom I only know from having seen her in the building and briefly speaking to her while waiting for the cook in the cafeteria to finish up my lunch one afternoon.  She smiled and waived hello, very quick and unassuming.  How kind.  She didn't even know how much I needed that smile, how much it meant to me that she cared enough to raise her hand with a wave hello and a sincere smile. 

Since this day a few weeks ago, she's appeared in the windows several times while I pass and everytime we meet eyes she says hello through the glass with a wave of her hand and another sincere smile and I gratefully smile and wave back.  I still have yet to speak to her again outloud and I doubt in my current awkward, anxious state I will tell her how much I appreciate her kindness, although I probably should. 

Thank goodness for people that care enough to show a little random kindness... it meant more to me than she'll ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment